Saturday, January 07, 2006

Virgin post: What is this site about?

Welcome to the Sexeteria. Let's talk sex. And all things related to it, too--dating, celibacy, marriage, gender issues, lifestyle choices, literature, film, other kinds of entertainment...and anything and everything else unrelated to it, too, come to think of it, because, let's face it, it all comes back around to sex in about 7 minutes or so, anyway. And good conversation is sex for the brain. So. Whatever interests, amuses, informs, or otherwise makes for good conversation around the topic...let's talk about it.

Why empahsize the sex focus at all? Growing up, I was raised to have frank and open discussions about sexuality. As I got older, I realized how unusual an experience that was for most people. I've always been surprised, and a little saddened, by how shocked, and then relieved, and even grateful people are when they realize they can have a frank, open discussion about sex, without having to feel shame or embarrassment. I hate to think of how many people have lived their lives feeling isolated, unable to open up on the topic for fear of being shut down or ridiculed. So I wanted to create a comfortable environment where people can have these conversations in an open, respectful way.

Now, why "sexeteria" you ask?

In trying to figure out a name for this blog that would give an instant mental image of what it was about, I ran through a number of more obvious names, and they all just seemed too obvious or pompously titillating. And that wasn't the vibe I wanted. Sex can be serious, and smoldering, but it can also be friendly, and sometimes funny, too. I wanted the name to cover all the bases. I wanted to evoke a comfortable place where people could sit down, like they would with a good friend they trust, and talk comfortably about sex and sexuality without being embarrassed. A place where they could also have fun with the topic, too; as well as keep up-to-date with, share, and gossip about the latest news, entertainment, and other info on the topic.

So, I wanted to provide a smorgasbord of sex talk, if you will. But "smorgasbord" is not a particularly sexy word. So that was out.

And then, I remembered my favorite quote ever from The Simpsons, courtesy of Mr. H. Simpson himself: "Good things don't end in 'eum,' they end in 'mania' or 'teria.'"

And--voilà!--my little piece of the blogosphere was born.

So, the Sexeteria. Come on in, grab a tray, check out the buffet, and choose what most whets your appetite and interest. I'm cooking up some treats just for you, honey. And because you're special, there's no charge--except that you join us at the table after you've and share your thoughts in a good, mind-stimulating group conversation. (For the rules of respectful posting, please click here.)

Dig in!

Miss Syl.

[Update: I've since discovered that the makers of The Simpsons actually used the word "Sexeteria" in their second animated show, Futurama. I always knew Matt Groening and I were soulmates, since way back in the "Life in Hell" days.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dark Daughta said...

"Growing up, I was raised to have frank and open discussions about sexuality."

I think you may be just the person I need to talk to. Would you consider coming over to my blog for a sec to have a look-see at Sex Positive Parenting...ARGH (http://darkdaughta.blogspot.com/
2006/03/sex-positive-parenting-argh.
html). I'd love to have your input.

Great site. I'll definitely be back for more food for thought.

3/04/2006 6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<<Back to Sexeteria home




Linketeria