Friday, February 17, 2006

Horny: Relieve My Suffering


God, I hate this word. Is there anyone besides me who thinks the sound of it is completely opposite to what it actually FEELS like. Just nothing about it feels sensual in any way. It sounds like the kind of word a little kid would make up to describe an adult feeling.

What it describes I don't hate though. It's an interesting and complex state to be in. It deserves a good word to describe it.

The thing that is frustrating is that there really is no other word that quite has the same meaning as "horny." "Aroused" isn't right. Aroused tends to be used to describe direct and clear physical response to something in particular: "I saw him and became aroused." Whereas "horny" is more of an ongoing state--a quivering sense of need, even if you're not technically, physically showing signs of arousal.

"Excited" is too non-specific. I mean hell, I can get excited about the fact that my landlord lowered my rent, or that my favorite band is playing in town.

"Lustful" is closer to the mark, but doesn't sound quite right when you say it: "God, I'm really lustful right now." Uh-uh. And "lecherous" just sounds like you're thinking about underage kids.

Plus, in general, even if you're not bothered by the sound of the word, it has a distinctly unfeminine sense to it. "Horn" is the penis. I haven't got a horn. So why would I be horny? I want something that reflects the female state of high-pitched sexual need. Or even better, one with unilateral usability.

So, what alternatives would you suggest? Or do we need to make up a new word? And if so, what should the new word be?

4 Comments:

Blogger James Scolari said...

libidinous? um, carnal? aroused? randy? salacious? hot n'bothered?

whatever word suits you, when you find it, syl, bring it over to play, okay?

2/19/2006 3:38 AM  
Blogger Miss Syl said...

bare frame: Ooh, "hot 'n' bothered." I like that one. And "carnal" isn't bad either. Though, saying "I'm feeling all carnal today" doesn't ring as true to me as saying "I'm all hot 'n' bothered." Horniness is kind of like that--hot, bothersome--diffused distraction, a hot rash you just want to scratch. Carnality seems more focused, like a hunter knowing what exactly what prey he wants to set his sights on for. When you're horny, it seems less clearly defined that that (to me).

So, for instance, your post makes me hot 'n' bothered, your photo makes me carnal. Heh heh.

2/19/2006 3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Lascivious' is a good word. Also in England we say 'randy'.

3/03/2006 5:01 AM  
Blogger Miss Syl said...

Roper: Yes, I love "lascivious." But for me, that's a word that works better in print. Not sure it works as well verbally, when referring to oneself, at least.

"Randy" was ruined for me by your countrymen; every time I hear it now, all I can see is Prince Andrew.

3/03/2006 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<<Back to Sexeteria home




Linketeria