Thursday, April 13, 2006

On the Road and Customer Service Survey

Hi all,

For the next few days (until Tuesday), I will be out of town visiting with family and friends. There's pretty much no guarantee of consistent internet connectivity; and even if there is, I may decided to take a rest for a few days anyway. This will probably mean few to no posts. My guess is that I will mostly log in to check email and comments, but won't be writing much on the blog...but you never know. I might surprise you. You'll just have to check back and see.

In the meantime...

1) There are lots of fabulous people in the blogrolls on the right who I encourage you to check out.

2) I'd love to get your opinion on something. The lovely, talented, and always brainy Artful Dodger has generously offered to help me update my blog template if I want to. He's designed a number of blogs lately and does some amazing work.

I think it would be nice to get out of standard blogger template purgatory, but I'm not sure what direction I want to go, exactly. I often admire the fresh, clean look of blogs that are primarily white in background, but I also often think they don't quite "feel" like me. So I'd like some opinions. I tend to gravitate toward the color black. I kind of like the dark, telling secrets kind of mood it gives the blog. And I like the burst of color effect the photos have against the background. But sometimes I think the whole white-on-black thing is too hard on the eyes. What do you think? If I changed color scheme radically, would you feel you weren't "home" anymore? If not, any ideas what you think would make for a nice change? Given my content, what colors do you think I am? Would you like to see a fancy-schmancy banner? Any ideas for the banner? What image reflects a "sexeteria," anyway? How do you embody "food, sex, and spectacle" in a template?

Right now where I live there are loads of magnolias, cherry blossoms, and wisteria in bloom, and it keeps making me think I want a cherry tree on my blog. Pink and white against sky blue, like I see out my window every morning. But that's just SO not like me most of the time. Must have spring fever. And really, thematically, it has nothing to do with this blog. But do I care?

So anyway--ideas and suggestions for either the design or the blog in general? What about the current design do you like/not like?

And if you feel like it, in terms of what you're reading/seeing here every day, what could I be doing better?

In other words, fill in the blank(s):

When I look at your blog, I wish _________________.

or

This blog could use more ______________________.

or

Miss Syl, please, please, please give me _______________________.

8 Comments:

Blogger Shon Richards said...

The white on black doesn't bother me but the purple on black links to the side crossover into eyestrain land. I also think your voice is unique enough that changing the visuals of the blog wouldn't detract from the feel of it.

4/13/2006 8:42 AM  
Blogger Evil Minx said...

Honestly, Miss Syl, i think you look fabulous as you are, but if you are going to upgrade your templature (I think i just made that word up), then the 'Dodger is the way to go.

Trust me, i know of what i speak. He did me something amazing, and totally me. All that just by listening, bless him. Check out the Minxdom, trust me, it's not only an improvement, it's a whole new ball game.

However, it doesn't matter to me either way. I will continue to visit you however you look, because your inner beauty is what always intrigues me. And what you write is amazing and beautiful.

Much love

La Minxxxxxxxx

4/13/2006 5:02 PM  
Blogger Karl Elvis said...

Your blog looks nice as is but I understand the need to re-dectorate. I do that all teh time and one of these days I'll tire of piracy and do something else on my blog.

so my suggestions:

1) no totally nutty, busy backgrounds.
2) keep the images small, and few, so it doesn't take forever to load
3) check out how it looks on a shitty monitor. It's easy to make something look good when your display is top notch.
4) even tough I use white on black, black on white's easier on the eyes.

4/13/2006 5:53 PM  
Blogger Dee Jour said...

can't wait til you get back woman!

template doesn't stop me visiting, but there's a teensy weensy thing...Ive noticed on blogs with black backgrounds that the font needs to be white (it's the most comfortable for the eyes)...

4/13/2006 8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erm... the red fonts are really hard to read on a black background. If you keep the black, could you lighten those fonts?

I totally, totally second Karl's recommendation that busy backgrounds be avoided - instant migraine, those are.

4/13/2006 10:51 PM  
Blogger ArtfulDodger said...

The trick is to design something that reflects you personally. Complex, simple, heavy or light, that doesn't matter, what does is that the design reflect you and your blog. Like a comfortable pair of shoes, we'll get there.

Have fun!

4/13/2006 10:54 PM  
Blogger Cherrie said...

I like the white type against the black background. It suits you.

The cherry tree image would he hard to work into the motif of the slik-stockinged legs, but why not give it a try?

Perhaps you could use an Art Deco font for the "Sexeteria" banner? That would seem to fit.

Food, sex and spectacle? Invite me, please!!

P.S.--Enjoy your time away. Everyone needs an opportunity to rest and recharge.

4/14/2006 10:56 PM  
Blogger Miss Syl said...

Thanks all for the useful feedback. Now I just have to decide what to do!

Shon: Funny, it comes across as pink-mauve on my computer, not purple. Just goes to show you can't tell what others are really seeing. And thanks for the "unique" comment. For me, that's about the nicest compliment anyone can give me.

Minx: I've been checking your blog out for ages, so I'd seen the change AD made for you already. Love it, it's gorgeous, and it totally matches you, too. As for your last paragraph, I'm blushing madly. Thanks so much...

Karl Elvis: So no nutty, crazy pirate pattern backgrounds for me? Damn! Why do you get all the exceptions? Ergh, I don't actually have access to a shitty monitor. Funny, that's one of the first times in my life I've ever been able to say that.

Ana: isn't it white? It is on my computer.

Hiromi: Yeah I hate busy backgrounds. I'm more a fan of simplicity in blogging...though a more interesting banner would be nice. I'll work on the red/purple thing.

Artful Dodger: Okay, I'm still unsure what I want. I'm glad you'll be helping me.

Cherrie: I absolutely love art deco (especically in jewelry, if anyone out there with expendable income happens to...ahem...care about that). Excellent idea.

Romancing: Thanks. Me either. Art has his work cut out for him, heh heh. Right now I'm not envisioning anything drastic, but just...better, clearer, cleaner.

4/21/2006 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<<Back to Sexeteria home




Linketeria