Friday, April 21, 2006

A Petty Relationship is Like a Melody

So, I was messing about with my iPod today, and a particular song came on and it got me to thinking.

Now there are loads of love songs out there. And there are a lot of good breakup songs, too. But what about "I'm stuck in a miserable relationship" songs? You just don't see a lot of those. Guess it's not something that inspires most people to sing. Go figure.

But there actually are a few excellent examples of this rare and elusive musical genre. For instance:

Luna's "Slash Your Tires"


No point in screamin'
Cause I'm only dreamin'
That you came to pieces
And I came in peace
[...]
And in my dreams I slash your tires
And in my dreams I set these fires
And all your fears, it's nothing new
And all your tears, they won't help you



Dynamite Hack's "Anyway"


So here we are stuck in hell
Same old game we know it well
I don't mind...anyway
Spark it up and numb me on and off again
Oh what the hell
I don't mind...anyway

Been sittin' here have another beer
I'm drunk but I want some anyway
I just don't care enough about you
So fuck you anyway

[...leading up to the brilliant line...]

I just don't care enough about this to make the effort to show you that I care enough to try to get you back in bed with me


Blur's "Fool"


Sorry
But I'm not really listening
I've got my mind
On something else
And sometimes I wonder if I'm here
If I'm here at all
I know that you want me to go
Don't you
But it's not as easy as it seems
I know that you think I'm not here at all
But I'm just as fed up as you


And the absolute, stunning topper of all "miserable fucking relationship" songs:
The Mountain Goat's "No Children"


I hope I cut myself shaving tomorrow
I hope it bleeds all day long
Our friends say it's darkest before the sun rises
We're pretty sure they're all wrong
I hope it stays dark forever
I hope the worst isn't over
And I hope you blink before I do
Yeah I hope I never get sober
And I hope when you think of me years down the line
You can't find one good thing to say
And I'd hope that if I found the strength to walk out
You'd stay the hell out of my way
I am drowning
There is no sign of land
You are coming down with me
Hand in unlovable hand
And I hope you die
I hope we both die


Ah, sweet, eternal love...

But that's about all I could come up with. Any others you can think of?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not quite what you're talking about, I think, but a friend of mine has a song called "Missing the Best of a Bad Situation". (About encountering an ex and forgetting what a bad relationship that was, and getting reinvolved, and ...)

I saw all the signs, as she finished her story
She had fallen back under his spell.
Though he'd hurt her before, he was a comfortable pain
I forced a smile as I wished her well.
Why do people engage in such justification
To accept the things they know they shouldn't?
I hope that if faced with a similar temptation
I'd be strong enough to say I wouldn't.


Hm, the relative links don't seem to work. The song's the third one on this page.

4/21/2006 1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Offspring. i forgot the name, i wanna say it is off americana album. But it is kind of 3rd person telling of a shitty relationship.

"My friend has a girlfriend and he really hates that bitch. He tells me everyday. He says man I really got to lose my chick in the worst kind of way"

Offspring-vultures

"now i could lie by your side, all serrated for youm down below cancer grows, weeping waits inside you too, all our rage begs a stage, it's a waste of time though, and your style seems worthwile but this lonely road has turned"

offspring-denial revisited

"so here we go having the same old fight again, there she goes same old game that never ends, if i could say the right words i know i could make you stay, if i could say the right words things would work out all right, and if you go i wont believe that it's forever"

4/21/2006 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<<Back to Sexeteria home




Linketeria