Saturday, February 18, 2006

Lust in Stereo

Have you ever had a song where there is one sound or beat or what have you that hits you so hard, it simply lives and breathes total sexuality in one short moment? I'm not talking about the extended soundtrack you make love to. I'm not even talking about one individual song, or sexy lyrics. I mean just one key moment within a piece of music that when it hits you, it grabs you hard, makes your brain explode with lust, and gets your loins all up in a fire so that you just want to grab the next person who walks by, throw them down on the ground, and throw yourself on top of them?

It's not every song that can accomplish something so intense. But here are a few that do it for me. Now tell me yours.

Top of the charts: PJ Harvey, "Dry"
I can not get through this song without my hips involuntarily starting to grind, no matter where I happen to be. The cracked, roughness of her voice as she's screaming "dry" at the end of the first and second verse and then slams into the most obscene, crude, loud slide guitar riff you've ever heard. God. Amazing.

Powered by Castpost

Other contenders:

Suede, "The Drowners"
A close second to PJ for me. I like the throbbing guitar in the opening riff, but what really does it for me is the bridge with that long, extended, shivering, undulating wail from Bernard Butler's guitar at the end. Take me right now, Bernard, you guitar god. Plus, the whole damn song around it just seethes and smolders. I highly recommend you fuck to this song right now, at top volume, with whomever you've got around. Don't make love. Fuck. That's what this song exists for.

Powered by Castpost

The Beatles, "Revolution"
The opening moments. The assault of the guitar. That scream. Yes. Yes. Now. Need I say more?

Powered by Castpost

More Beatles, "Girl"
That long, sharp intake of breath in the chorus. Pure, wordless, supressed want. When someone makes that sound about you, you know. When you make that sound, well... Either way, it's a very good thing.

Powered by Castpost

Pixies, "I Bleed"
Kim's pulsing bassline and her thin, beautiful wail, echoing under Black Francis in the opening. Oooh. Behind my smile, it shakes my teeth.

Powered by Castpost

Ride, "Like A Daydream"
There is a split second about two-thirds of the way into the midst of this incredible layered wall of noise and romantic pining where the song just slams to a halt and is totally silent except for this cymbal noise. And then kicks back in. In that one split second, I'm laid out flat. It's the most perfect break I've ever heard in a song. And the swelling music around it will send you to heaven and back.

Powered by Castpost

Prince, "When Doves Cry"
That Tuvan-throat-singer thing he does at the start of the song. I don't know what the hell it is, or why it's so stirring. But it just is. Sets up the whole rest of the mood for the song.

Powered by Castpost

Come on, ya'll. Gimme yours. What isolated musical moment gets you all worked into a tizzy?

8 Comments:

Blogger Miss Syl said...

Woman: Oooh, even the name of the song sound delicous. I will have to check it out. Thanks!

2/19/2006 3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now this is the dirty girl I love. You've redeemed yourself with these truly awesome selections.

I'll have to reward you by getting out my whip...

2/19/2006 10:39 PM  
Blogger Miss Syl said...

Mike: I didn't know grad students could afford whips.

Yeah, good thing I'd posted this before the touching Manilow groin incident--proves I'm not into screwing to "Mandy."

Or does it? Maybe I *am* just that sick and twisted.

2/19/2006 11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another Tori Amos song... (Raspberry Swirl is definitely worth checking out)
Me and a Gun. The very beginning. There's just her, and her voice is low and it just grabs you and pulls you in. Softer, but incredible.


My other most powerful music moments are from musicals, mostly non-english, so I won't go into detail for the sake of comment length

...I'm a music nerd, this was a question worth delurking for.

vistana

2/20/2006 8:47 PM  
Blogger Dante Hunter said...

Lovely post indeed Miss Syl. And some great choices, but I'm going to register my own votes for the introduction to The Cranberries' "Zombie" and for Visual Audio Sensory Theater's "Touched." Great title, no? Also apropos from their VAST album was "Pretty When You Cry." Mmmmm. Good times.

Happy Belated V-day. Oh wait, you don't celebrate that... so Happy President's Day!
--Dante

2/20/2006 10:52 PM  
Blogger Miss Syl said...

Vistana: So glad you de-lurked. Please say hi anytime. I'm always wondering who all those people on my statcounter are...
I know "Me and a Gun"--definitely a very powerful song.

Dante: Thanks for the links--but for some reason they won't work for me. Grr. I was all excited to hear them, too. Definitely a great title.

2/21/2006 1:32 AM  
Blogger Dee Jour said...

Nine Inch Nails - Closer, that gets me in a real depraved pervy mood along with the killer sentence/lyric 'I want to f#$5 you like an animal, I want to feel you from the inside.' I wish a guy would feel that exact 'way' if you know what I mean.

Chilli Peppers - Suck My Kiss this song has a really catchyy-sexy rhythm. It's a playful-sexy song.

The Beatles song that I find erotic is Norwegian Wood, for some odd reason.

2/22/2006 9:19 AM  
Blogger Miss Syl said...

Anastasia: Excellent choices, every single one. And about "Closer"...I know exactly what you mean. Me, too.

2/22/2006 2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<<Back to Sexeteria home




Linketeria