Saturday, May 13, 2006

Reviewing the Situation--Early Morning Musings And Late Night Conundrums

Well, so I'm back. Sorry for the unannounced absence. No dramatic reason for it--I just suddenly decided I needed a break for a day or two. And then each day turned into another day that I didn't feel like writing (on the blog at least--reserving whatever writing energy I had for what I had to do for work). And it turned into a week. Anyway, sometimes you just want to live without having to offer anything up to the gods or to an audience for having done it.

Interestingly, I've noticed my reticence to write of late seems to not be exclusive to me. A great many of my favorite bloggers seem to have gone almost, if not totally, quiet. Maybe we're all suffering from a similar virus--mindwillnottransmittokeyboardistitis, for instance. Or lifeistooverwhelmingtoarticulatitosis. Maybe it's seasonal--Spring fever. Or maybe we're making it look like we've all gone quiet because in reality we've all been together for one of our tri-annual meetings at a secret country mansion in Colorado known only as "The Meadows," where we have all been whispering our secrets only to each other and bonding in an orgiastic confluence of minds, words, and lickable body parts, along with the queen, the vatican, the Gettys, the Rothschilds, and Colonel Sanders before he went tits up. And we're just not telling you.

I'm not going to say which it is--but damn, people, am I tired.

(And how the hell did that Rod of Equity and Mercy get in there? Owie.)

Anyway, I've been thinking about some stuff while I've been away. Some of which will come up in future posts. But some of which is about the blog, and what next.

I don't know. I think I had a clear idea when I started with this thing. But it's been morphing into something else. And now I keep thinking of making changes. I already talked about redesign, and I'm pretty certain now that I want to do it. But I'm thinking about other things, too.

Okay, first. I've got to recognize that this blog just simply isn't going to be just about sex. That's what I thought it was going to be--that I wasn't going to share anything about myself, and it was just going to be a forum for discussing sexuality and issues related to it in the news and entertainment media, period. But it turns out I'm feeling too limited by that. I want to talk about what I feel like talking about--whatever, whenever it hits me. A great deal of that will probably still be about sex, because I like to think and talk about it. But it will veer off into other things quite regularly, I'm sure.

So, conundrum #1: Is it fair to keep calling this a sex blog? Is it fair to keep calling it Sexeteria?

I'm a bit sorry now I gave it a name that would imply such limitations. I wonder if I should change it. To be honest, I've kind of grown attached to the name. I don't really feel like changing it (or only kinda-sorta). But if only a certain amount of the talk is sex-related, is it too misleading? And if I change it now, is it too confusing? Should I just start totally over and leave this as a blogging elephant's graveyard? (I don't really want to do the last one--I see what I've written so far as an important part of the evolution into the blog being whatever it's going to be. It's more the name that's at issue, and whether you--or more importantly, I--think it's a bad idea to keep it or change it.)

And then there's this:

I made a quick and rash choice to go with Blogger when I first decided to make a blog. It was due to a total lack of knowledge. I had an urge one day to blog. Why? I have no idea. Before that I had pretty much never read a blog, unless you count non-personal, community blogs like Metafilter and Fark. It was a completely spontaneous choice, and I just googled "blogging" and came up with Word Press and Blogger, and Blogger just seemed easier and faster to figure out. I could be writing in minutes. And that was what I wanted to do.

But after that, I started looking around and reading and looking at other people's blogs. And I realized that all the blogs that had functions I really admired most were Movable Type blogs. For months now, I've been coveting these functions. I WANT them. And as I may have mentioned before on this blog, I have no impulse control.

Well, I sent my wish out to the universe, and shockingly, the universe sent me back someone very generous who has offered to give me exactly what I want. I can move my blog over to a Movable Type one. So now another fun fact about me--I get scared when someone offers me what I want. And even as I'm reaching for it, or sometimes am already up to my elbows in it and it is far too late to turn back, I am wont to think, "Is it really what I want?"

And then the trouble starts.

So now, I present to you conundrum #2. I can switch my blog over to Movable Type. I will get all kinds of cool functions that I will be far, far happier with. And I'd be part of a community of bloggers whose work I admire and relate to greatly. That would be good.

It would mean I'd have to learn a slightly more difficult interface, but I can handle that, because I think the benefits are worth it. There's a slight question about whether I can deal with the commenting interface there, given how my daily life works. I can't log on to the blog from work. So that's something to sort out--if it's possible to not be flooded with spam if I don't monitor comments or have word verification. But I'm sure there's probably a workaround for that.

BUT, here are some things I wonder about. It would also mean having to change my blog's URL. Which would mean lots of broken links on people's blogs that I would have to try to get fixed. And it might mean a that my stats would go back down to zero (does anyone know if there's a way to transfer over one's stats easily?). It might also mean some confusion or frustration on readers' parts, which means I might lose some readers, too.

I suppose all these last issues are totally ego related. But I like all the people who comment. I like that people are reading. And I don't really want that to go away.

So what do you think? Would it be too disconcerting if I kept the name, but varied my content a little? If I changed the name? If I moved urls? Would you follow me over? Would it be too much of a pain in the ass for you to update your blogrolls (if you have me on yours)?

Please feel free to weigh in on this; I'd really like to hear opinions.

17 Comments:

Blogger Miss Syl said...

Gracias, Mente Rapada. Y tu eres un lector excellente, tambien.

5/13/2006 1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well. I guess you know what I'm going to say. ;)

Make the transition! Do it! I hope the sitch is what I think it is, and if so: Do it!

And of course your readers will follow you. And, I don't know why not, but I don't get any spam comments... And moveable type is great.

5/13/2006 3:36 PM  
Blogger Evil Minx said...

Syl honey --

1. I say, make the transistion. It won't stop anyone from reading you. Don't worry about broken links. You can email those in the community the addresses of whom you already have, plus you have enough fans and linkers to help you spread the word. AND you can leave a follow-on link on the old site.

2. You must write what you want to write. That's the first and only rule of blogging in my (possibly overrated) opinion. For the blogger anyway. It may sound trite and knee-jerk to say that; I must assure you it is not intended to be so; not at all.

The fact that you started one way, and you want to change directions simply means that this is what you must do. Change is good. I truly believe that. It's a question of perception, certainly. But this is undoubtedly a good change for you, which would mean a happier Miss Syl. Which makes me happier, and i am sure i'm not alone in that. :-)

On a personal note -- i'm a fiend for anything and everything you write. I don't care if you write here, or on the sole of your shoe -- i'll always read it.

*smooch*
Minxy

5/13/2006 4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said you wanted opinions. Okay, then.

The bottom line is this: You want to do it, and the wanting will niggle at you in the wee hours, and the feeling will never go away.

So. You can cave in to it now, early on, and have a slightly irksome readjustment, or you can do it much, much later, after you've stewed in a mire of covetousness and dissatisfaction and envy for however long you can stand it (months? years?) and then have a frustrating, traumatic and angst filled readjustment.

If you wanna spare your readers confusion, you'll go sooner rather than later. Otherwise, it's a lifestyle choice.

Hope that helps.


(Addendum: As always when discussing the scaffolding and behind-the-scenes crap of blogs, I feel an urge to give a shout out to Karl Elvis who is the fucking awesome host that makes my weblog possible. And who will almost certainly read this at some point. Karl, you da man.)

5/13/2006 5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. Karl Elvis is indeed the man. I want to have his love child. Or, well, you know, name a cat after him or something...


xoxooxox

Oh, and P.S.
My blog started out as a chronical of my chicken farming... Heh.

5/13/2006 8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People found this site. What would make you think people wont find your next site? If you write well the people will finf your site regardless of the name or you moving it. If you feel you need to make the jump then jump. just look before you leap.

Far as the title goes, i like it. If you dont think it is befitting then bring about some change. I dont find the title to be that important anyways.

finally, stats? are we looking for a lil validation from the readers? I thought you blog because you want to write for yourself not for others.

5/13/2006 8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karl Elvis rocks. Pack up your bags and go, sister. I shoulda done it long ago.

I started out as completely a sex blog too, but sex is involved in everything, isn't it?

So even if you are talking about politics, hey, there's sex in there too! Kids--sex! Chicken farming--sex!

It's everywhere...shhhhh don't tell the Republicans.

:D

5/13/2006 9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have already started building an identity with the name Sexeteria, so why change? Especially if you change URL's, that will make it harder for readers to find you.

Should you change the name because you want to write about topics other than sex? No. I think your slogan could be Sex is always on the menu but you never know what Miss Syl will cook up next. The only time to change the name is when you join the Witness Protection Program (Now that would be an interesting blog!).

As far as making the transition to Movable Type, do it. Otherwise you're going to get really bitchy about all the things you can't do and then you'll take it out on your readers by writing sarcasm laden responses. ;) As long as you've checked out the pros and cons, do what works best for you.

Good luck!

5/13/2006 9:45 PM  
Blogger Miss Syl said...

Circe: Thanks. It probably is what you think it is, and I probably will. :) I have a few questions right now. I'm all confused by the whole thing. But I think I'll figure it out.

Minx: You are too sweet--the admiration is mutual. I guess I don't want to change, so much as expand. And I'm not good at rules. I make them for myself and then I break them. I'm also not good at sitting still. I always find something new I want to integrate...this is just my latest thing. It'll probably happen more than just this once.

Buck: C'mon, tell me what you really feel, why don't you? Heh heh. Of course you're right. I think I can use having you around to slap the reality into me sometimes. And your Karl Elvis link is wrong, so for anyone who's interested, Buck meant to say http://www.moronosphere.com/

But why on earth do you think he'd have anything to say on this topic, hm? lol...

5/13/2006 10:24 PM  
Blogger Miss Syl said...

Okay, okay, you guys...fine. I didn't say anything since I hadn't made a decision yet but you're determined to out poor Karl anyway, so yeah, he said I can have a little space on the moronosphere if I want it. And yeah, he *is* the man, and he rocks. Not 'cause he's offered me some help, though--just because he IS.

AND...

Circe: Now I'm all confused, picturing you giving birth to a bald cat with fur in tribal tattoo patterns.

Well, *sometimes* you mention chickens...but I'm glad you share other things. Everything you write either interests or entertains me, pretty much.

Glad to hear the puppy's doing better, btw. And that math final...you gotta admire a woman who can straddle both arts and sciences.

Tory: Thanks for the helpful input. Of course bloggers look for validation from readers. And actually, seeing as I originally thought of the blog as a discussion forum, I actually *wasn't* doing it just for myself at first. Now I find I'm getting *slightly* more selfish about it. It's a bit more about doing it for myself than I originally planned, but I mean really, why would anyone type up stuff on a public blog unless they wanted a readership? If I only wanted to write my thoughts down for me, I'd download one of those wiki programs and just keep a private diary on my computer, or would not make my blog publicly viewable. Why do I not want to go that route--no idea--but it must mean I want to be read, I guess. So sure, I have at least a tiny bit of ego. Most writers want to know if people are responding to their writing. I'm no different.

AAG: There is sex in everything. And I actually enjoy it when you write non-sex stuff in your blog. I can tell just by the excellence of your writing you're a multidimensional person, so any time I get a window into that it pleases me immensely. So hopefully it'd be the same for me.

Kochanie: Ahahaha @ your ending comments. You are too cute.

Me? Bitchy? Sarcastic? Never! But you're right; best make the move before it gets even worse.

And how do you know I'm *not* in the witness protection program?? I have said before I lived in New Jersey at one point... (cue the Sopranos theme)

5/13/2006 10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

call me crazy but i thought people blogged as an outlet for things. not to compare who gets the most hits. are you really comparing how many hits you get to other blogs? Then again i dont blog.

i could give you a synopsis of why i think you blog. honestly, i think you are seeing if people respond to your writing because you are afraid to have that book fail horribly. so you are testing the waters without the commitment and possible rejection.

which is fine, hopefully you will see there is an audience and you get the courage to write the book you have wanted to. It would be ashame to not share your gift with others and let your talents go to waste.

5/14/2006 4:42 AM  
Blogger Shon Richards said...

I say make the move and keep this blog going as a referrer to your new home.

I like the name Sexeteria too. I don't see the name as a description of a blog as much as it is title we hang outside our door. Sexeteria was a creative name that made me linger and I stayed for the writing.

5/14/2006 10:56 AM  
Blogger Miss Syl said...

Tory:

call me crazy but i thought people blogged as an outlet for things. not to compare who gets the most hits. are you really comparing how many hits you get to other blogs?

No. I've never compared how many hits I get against other blogs' hits. But I do have a stat counter and I do pay attention to how many people stop by and read my blog in a day, where they're coming from, and what they're reading. I pay attention to who links to my posts and what they're saying about them on their own blogs. And I notice that my numbers keep growing each month.

Wanting people to connect with/read/comment on your blog is not the same thing as being competetive with other bloggers. I do find I care at least somewhat about the former. I don't really care much about the latter. But in most of my life I've been self-competetive. I've never really been interested in competition against others.

I think an outlet for one's thoughts/emotions is only one of many reasons people probably blog. I personally do blog as an outlet for things, as well as for many other reasons. It's not all about having an audience for me...but I don't think anyone starts a blog without thinking about who's going to read it. Maybe other bloggers can add their thoughts on this. But I think that every blogger must have *some* instinct to connect to an audience. If they didn't, they wouldn't make their blog a public document.

I also think some bloggers *do* care about their numbers in comparison to others, or there wouldn't be so many different kinds of "ranking heirarchy" type sites out there. I'm only just learning about these, but there seem to be loads of them.

To me, the instinct to write a blog (at least the kind that states personal opinions, anyway) is the same as writing an op ed in a newspaper. The person's writing it to get their view expressed--to get something off their chest. But they're also wanting others to read it and maybe think about it and connect to it/respond to it.

The primary reason for creating a written work, or any other kind of expressive work, may initially be sheer creative or emotional impulse. But if you choose to put it in the public domain, well... No author or artist who chooses to put his or her work in any publicly consumed medium can say he or she has absolutely no thought about his or her audience. If he or she does, he or she is lying.

As to your theory as to why I blog: it's a smart theory. It wasn't one of my conscious reasons for why I started blogging, but I'm sure it feeds into my subconscious. I think right now there are some other more salient reasons that I'm doing it, but having done so will probably benefit me in the area you're talking about, too, I think. And I thank you for the encouragement and for your belief that I have some talent. :)

5/14/2006 11:28 PM  
Blogger Miss Syl said...

Shon: Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you've stayed, too. :)

5/14/2006 11:31 PM  
Blogger Karl Elvis said...

I love finding my name in people's blog comments. Even better than finding it written on bathroom walls.

You know what *I* think, Syl. Keep the name, but throw away the rules. Just write about all of it and everything else and THAT is blogging.

C, AAG, Buck - no, I don't rule, you guys rules.

5/15/2006 12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karl, you do too rule.

And did you realize that I was the one scrawling your name on the bathroom walls?

5/15/2006 3:54 PM  
Blogger Miss Syl said...

Karl Elvis: You'd like to see your name everwhere, I think. I'm certain you'd be happy if every single one of us tattooed your name on our bodies somewhere. Of course, maybe some of us already have...

The cult of Karl Elvis. 'Cept we'd get tequila instead of Kool-Aid at the end.

Thanks for the input. I think I feel the same as you and a few others...can't lose the name. It's all mine now.

AAG: Just his name? Help a brutha out...put his number down, too.

5/16/2006 12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<<Back to Sexeteria home




Linketeria